Subject: [Leica] which medium format?
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sun Feb 25 17:54:23 2007

Check medfmt.8k.com for articles on lens hacking.  For my modification I
didn't even need to hack the 135 Hektor.  I had a Nikkor 135mm lens for my
Bronica ECTL that was a paperweight due to fungus etching the back of the
front lens group.  At the time I was attempting to create a 200mm f/4 lens
from an old parts lens SMC Takumar 200 f/4.  I had both the lenses apart and
a host of parts spread about.  It turned out that a flange inside the 200mm
lens had the exact thread dia. and pitch that I needed to fit to the lens
head of the Leica 135 Hektor.  I checked the Leica 135 lens head against a
ground glass to see the distance from the lens head flange to plane of sharp
focus at infinity AND checked to see if this lens had adequate coverage.
After removing a few parts from the Nikkor lens, I had the bare locking
collar ready to mate with the flange.  It turned out the lens on the flange
was a little too close to the film plane and I had to shim it out about
1.2mm to achieve infinity focus.  I left a little bit of "slop" in the focus
giving it the ability to move past infinity just in case the mount
registration changed a bit or temperature caused some expansion of the
helical.  After I got it all fabbed up, I created a jig with a few sets of
metal worker's vise grips and a c-clamp.  I secured the lens mount inside
the jig and JB welded the necessary parts together.  I let it sit for the 6
hours necessary & tested focus.  It was spot on just as I had planned.  Now
I have an adapter that will allow me to simply screw on my Leica 135 Hektor
which is a LOT sharper than the Nikkor offering that I was used to with the
fungus.  I still have the ability to put this lens head right back on my RF
helical since no modification was made to the lens, only a fabbed up
adapter/focusing mount.
All you need to do this really is a long focus lens with enough coverage for
6x6 (many older non-retrofocus long focal length lenses for 35mm have
adequate coverage for 6x6 when they are freed from their native mounts.)
Measure up the registration of the lens elements to the focal plane agains t
aground glass & start fabbing up your adapters.
If you have a camera that uses lenses in shutter, you'll have to secure a
focusing helical and shutter.  A lot harder than using a focal plane
shuttered camera with modular helical like the old Bronica mount or the
early Hassy focal plane shutter cameras.
You could always use a lens cap I suppose...

Philip