Subject: [Leica] Did any of you use the M4-2 winder?
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Thu Mar 1 10:54:58 2007

Winder M4-2 up to serial number 10 349

- absolute disaster and only useful as ballast. The winder is
triggered by a long linkage through the camera. Lots and lots of
problems.

Winder M4-2 serial number 10 350 and up, Winder-M4-P and Winder-M

- simplified release with movement of winder motor shutting the
winder off. As motor movement buffers wear, a pronounced thunk
appears and increases. When the motor movement buffers fall off, the
winder clanks like a M16 firing a close range. Guarantied to have
everyone diving for the floor within seconds of shutter release.

Moderately simple to repair. Replace buffers as needed and adjust
motor twist to a minimum. Quite silent and smooth after that.

I have one but seldom use it as I much prefer my Rapidwinder.

John Collier