Subject: [Leica] Film/Dev combos and Scanner contrast range
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Mar 2 16:16:47 2007

I have spent the last 2 weekends working on my film/dev combinations,
using the recommendations of the 205 FCC  magazine. The process is
easy, BUT SLOW, and the results are pretty scary --- at least for me
it explains a lot of my problems ;-)

The bottom line seems to be the EI rating of the film is a
combination of the film and developer type. T-max 100 rates as 80 in
ID-11 and 64 in Rodinal FOR ME. The contrast range is determined by
the development time. You measure Zone VIII negs to give you a
contrast range to suit your enlarger.

Does any one know what contrast range suits scanners, in particular
Nikon 5000 !!!! Is it the density range of 1.2 as for diffusion
enlargers or 1.01 as for condenser enlargers?

cheers