Subject: [Leica] Rapidwinder warning
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Mar 3 15:14:46 2007

Jerry Lehrer said:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder warning

> In the past few years, I have traveled to, or lived and worked in Japan,
> the UK, France, Germany, and Israel.  Also traveled to Vancouver
> and Victoria.  I have never NEVER, been hasseled over any of my Leica
> gear.<<<,

Jerry that maybe your good fortune and I wish you the same for every flight
gate you pass through.

However it's obvious from the original  poster about his problem with the
film advance lever on his Rapid winder when checking through security that
triggered this hot topic. it's something that comes up depending on the
guard!! .

I've been questioned a number of times but quickly respond.... "Oh that's
for advancing the film on this type of camera." And the response has been...
"Oh I've never seen that on a camera before." My follow up before he or she
has time to think ...... maybe stupid if I happen on the wrong type... " Oh
yes the other two Leica film cameras are equipped with the same advancing
lever. Better than using a motor winder." Some how they relate to " motor
winder" for whatever reason. Maybe they own a digi cam with winder?
The camera is gently returned to bag by the guard. And away I go... I just
wish they'd all been as simple as that.

>From experience I'd think you've been extremely lucky at not being asked to
take a bunch of stuff out of your bag and laid out on the table or counter.
I always approach the security counter in a polite manner, put the bag up un
locked and ready for opening. And  never blink when they near drop an M7
removing it from the bag. :-) Breath deeply without showing it! And smile!

99% of the time it's OK. But then it only takes one security person with the
wrong attitude or lack of common sense and the world is a wreck!

ted

Message from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] Rapidwinder warning)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Rapidwinder warning)
Message from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Rapidwinder warning)