Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hoppy P'sESO
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Mar 7 13:34:54 2007

Thanks Len and Doug. Doug, you are absolutely right regarding colour being
preferable here. It was a case of going to shoot some
scenics and unstick the shutter button when the bird (Alectura
lathami)popped up. The frame shown is one of only a couple of six or
so where there is any separation of head from background leaf litter. Only
saved by the sunlit patch of ground, there. I had just
chanced upon a large monitor (goanna) which is a lizard about a metre long
and was attempting to follow it for a picture. I squatted
down waiting to see it emerge from some cover, when the bird fed past me
slowly at less than two metres. These birds are relatively
common in urban fringes here and not at all intimidated by man. In fact many
people find a large mound made in their garden
constructed by the males. The lizard in fact is nearly invisible in his
portrait in the dappled light. It might say something
regarding effectiveness of the camouflage for animal's b&w vision.

Cheers
Hoppy