Subject: [Leica] Re: 4/3 cameras NOW STUDENTS USE?
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Mar 9 03:15:03 2007

Ted

I have not much to add to Doug's post which says it better than I ever
could. Of course there was a certain provocation factor in my statement,
especially when posted on a list like the LUG.

The youngsters neither have the knowledge nor the talent of you. They're not
photographers. They're point'n'shooters. I should have said "Today's
point'n'shooters are more talented than yesterdays point'n'shooters".
Because the younger have an easier access to photo gear, shoot much more
unpretentiously (as shooting has become something like a natural  activity)
and online publishing can be done with a few clicks today - think flickr,
smugmug producing giant point'n'shooters communities, posting and talking
about pictures. Though there are billions of crappy pictures over there,
sometimes I'm astonished what good pictures some photographically completely
unambitious members have made. Some are really good probably without knowing
it...

It's true most of them have no meaning about the art of photographing. One
of my graphic design students recently admitted that he would be a bit
jealous about my background as graphic designer and hobby photographer who
had learned all that before the digital age. I feel indeed very lucky about
that fact. Having the best of both. (BTW I asked him if he would know what
the main tool of a graphic layouter was before desktop publishing - he
believed "a pen" - but it was - a scalpel! Yes it was easy to recognize the
graphic design apprentice amongst a group of young people - it was the guy
with the fingers full of cuts :o)

Didier

Message from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] Re: 4/3 cameras)
Message from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Re: 4/3 cameras)