Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Falls Off?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sun Mar 11 05:11:31 2007

A redesign of the mechanicals can do a lot to reduce part count and
complexity of making each part.  Also, parts from other similar lenses can
be used, which also helps to economize the final product.

And a reduction of overall lens elements can compensate for the addition of
an ASPH element.

I have a friend who owns an industrial digital camera company (for cameras
for production lines) and one of his challenges is that customers expect
improvements in the design, fixing of all known prior bugs, and a price
reduction for new orders.

Leica has the same expectations - new stuff must be better and cheaper.  And
faster.  Or buyers go elsewhere.

Vick