Subject: [Leica] [img] gun portrait
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Wed Mar 14 16:55:10 2007

> Ken,
> Apart from all this stuff you wrote about the picture......... did you
> like
> it?  Is it any good without all the descriptive prose?

        I think I was contaminated by familiarity with the shooting sports.
The subjects were obviously wearing target shooting garb, like they might
have wandered off of a skeet range, but here they were by some water,
possibly hunting or looking for something.  So, the picture didn't make
sense to me and no doubt prevented seeing the image fully.  So, do I like
it?  The problem here is that I am comparing it to some of the Armed America
images, whether this one intended to be in that group or not.  Some of the
Armed America images will knock your socks off, not the case (for me) with
this image.

> The bottom-line on an illustration like this is.... "does it illustrate
> this
> photographers ability to shoot something above the norm of many of the
> day?"

        I'd say there is little question about that!!

> I'm sure you'd have to agree, Kyle's ability, certainly for many of us
> long
> term folks who've seen is work over the years, is above and beyond many in
> the illustration business of today!

        Absolutely.  Would that I could make images like that.  Or had the
imagination to come up with something like the Armed America book.  I hope
it becomes available soon.

Ken

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] [img] gun portrait)