Subject: [Leica] giving it away, or advertising it?
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Mar 20 10:56:30 2007

I've never sold photographs to people who didn't contract with me to take
them in the first place, so I can't answer this question from my experience.

A person whose portfolio I really admire is hesitant to put his work in the
LUG gallery because he's worried that people might steal the images from
there instead of buying a book someday. No, he doesn't yet have a book or a
publisher, but I think he should get these gorgeous images out there.

What's your experience? Those of you who have published books of photographs
or sold photographs based on people browsing the images online: does a
gallery of smallish JPEG images have any effect, plus or minus, on book
sales?

A separate question: how hard is it to find a publisher for a great
collection of photographs, and how does one start looking? For myself, I'm
going to use blurb.com, because my images aren't good enough to put in
bookstores. But what are the other choices?

Replies: Reply from jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman) ([Leica] giving it away, or advertising it?)
Reply from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] giving it away, or advertising it?)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] probably your worse case nightmare! :-()