Subject: [Leica] giving it away, or advertising it?
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue Mar 20 11:09:36 2007

One thought for your friend is to embed a personal watermark throughout the
images.  Those who want to see his work on the web can do so, and those who
wish to steal his work would be thwarted in any further commercial use.

You can always use Kyle Cassidy's example: the web publication of his Armed
America images certainly didn't preclude the book's publication, nor will
they likely have an ill effect on sales.  Most likely, the preview will
entice interest and sales.

My guess is that the future of most photo book publishing will be along the
lines of blurb.com, unless the photographer has a major name (and ready-made
audience), or the subject matter is immediately of great interest (such as
sex, guns, death, rock icons, etc.) Photo books are expensive to produce,
and often have limited audiences.

Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA
Who is still waiting for information on the blurb.com interview broadcast.