Subject: [Leica] Lightroom advice
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Mar 24 11:52:44 2007

Tina Manley wrote:

> I do exactly this by creating separate databases for each of my shoots.
> I don't need one big monster database because I use iView for that so
> I'm only using the database part of Lightroom for importing and working
> on the files.

Tina,

Does that mean you are using iView for assigning keywords (if you do)?

I'm not so sure I need a big monster database either.

My idea was to just use one big external harddisk and move it from
laptop to desktop.

What I don't like is that I don't understand what is happening, what
Lightroom is doing, with the files when you import them.

I mean ... what is all this with "import". Where does it put things? We
point Lightroom to our files. What is the difference between just
opening them, browsing through the file structure and telling Lightroom
what directory we want to work with, and "importing".

I don't like it when I don't understand what is going on. You end up in
a situation with a cheat sheet beside you: 1) press this 2) press enter
3) do this (don't ask why) 4) etc.

I am uncomfortable with that.

Thanks for information about how you work with it. It is just those kind
of things I'm struggling with now.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Lightroom advice)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Lightroom advice)