Subject: [Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted)
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Mar 27 02:07:54 2007

Frank
There's nothing to argue about what you say. Digital has passed film in
terms of resolution and dynamic range since several years; except you
produce zone-system-exposed, tripod based, ISO25 large format shots as you
mentioned. All I want to add is that, sometimes, I have the feeling that the
screened or printed scans of my b&w (mostly 100, 125 and 400 ASA) small
format negatives have another patina, another texture, just "another look"
than my digital pix from the R-D1. I've tried many PS hacks but could not
imitate this effect so far. Because i still like that "look". Younger
people, like my graphic design students, call it "retro" (but they like it,
too, though they'd never have the patience, or passion, to fiddle around
with it).
Didier

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Film/Digital)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Film/Digital (was: I'm blaming Ted))