Subject: [Leica] it's a freaking piece of STRING people
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Tue Mar 27 12:23:12 2007

Over the last forty years of shooting with Leica M's, Nikon FTn's, F2SBc or
F2AS and motordrives, and a Rollei 2.8F, the lesson has been "comfortable
and secure".  If a piece of string works for you, so be it.  I have always
protected the camera body by carrying it in the lower half of the
"neveready" case ( except with a motordrive ).  To each I have added a pair
of nylon side release buckles so I can pick one of the several different
straps according to the days needs.

      I have used the excellent Domke with the nonslip feature, a different
strap with a suede pad, another with a fleece pad ( wonderful in hot weather
), and another which is a loop of nylon webbing with modified D rings which
holds a camera close to my body in the middle of my chest but will allow the
camera to be pulled quickly to eye level.

       I have even modified a Leica shoulder stock and a rifle sling to use
with a motordriven SLR and long lenses.

     I don't believe any one of these would qualify as a universal strap.
But each can be a great tool for a different days shooting needs.

Saganich <chs2018@med.cornell.edu> wrote:
  My angle feather strap attracts very pretty girls.

At 11:27 PM 3/26/2007, you wrote:
>I can only imagine that some of you did NOT see my lecture st the ICP
>"leica straps: innovation and intention, 1936-2006" but holy smokes. your
>strap is nothing but a bit of string. it's the least important bit of the
>equation. point the camera, take the picture. if you have a million dollar
>strap made out of angel feathers it's not going to improve your
>photography at all. press the button, press it lots: good things happen
>after that.
>
>please, take some photos with your new expensive cameras. wrap some bread
>ties around your strap and your nuts if necessary. just take pictures.
>this isn't anything worth bothering so much about.

Chris Saganich, Sr. Physicist
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018@med.cornell.edu
Ph. 212.746.6964