Subject: [Leica] Leica Sighting
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Mar 28 10:51:15 2007

At 01:55 PM 3/28/2007, Adam Bridge wrote:
 >Why sadly? Her politics. If you didn't know that how would it affect
 >your view of her images?
 >
 >I understand the revulsion but am also troubled by the political
 >requirement. Seems no different that what the far right often
 >practices.

I suspect that this posting will cause BD to again accuse me of
anti-semitism.

Riefenstahl was a political lightweight and was
always viewed as an opportunist with great
abilities by Goebbels, who used her when he could
and who then tossed her aside around 1937.  She
had no ties with the Nazi Party or the Nazi ethos
other than as a hired gun, and early on before
its true nature was revealed.  (Reread your
Tolkien to understand the subtle play this
is:  evil does not appear openly as evil until it
is dominant and, by the time the Nazi evil had
become evident, Riefenstahl had been tossed into
the wastebasket of history by the Nazis other
than her long-standing affair with Speer:  I do
not believe that Albrecht and Leni discussed
Death Camps during their apres-ski assignations in, say, 1943.)

The Allies were really hot to nail her as a war
criminal of some sort but could not do so as the
evidence available then and available today
simply showed her to be a political
flibertigibbet who was a brilliant director and
who had a great eye for the proper frame.  The
same can be said of the Soviet movie director,
Eisenstein:  he was loved by the Soviets early on
and then, also, was cast aside.  (There is an odd
bit of trivia:  Eisenstein spoke fluent Japanese
and modeled his films on the Haiku, though I do
not see this in POTEMKIN.)  Eisenstein's work
ought to be condemned as evil work for an evil
regime if a similar standard is applied to Riefenstahl.

I shook the hand of Willy Ley.  Ley shook the
hand of Wehrner von Braun.  von Braun shook the
hand of Hitler.  I am thus three generations of
hand-shakes removed from Adolph Hitler.  Does
this make me a Nazi?  Judging from an exchange on
this topic in the late 1990's, BD would perhaps
say, "yeah!  the guy's a Nazi!"  However, to
restore my stature within this group, I am three
handshakes away from Lenin and only two away from
Stalin and also three away from Mao.  I might
well be a bigot, but I am, i the end, an equal-opportunity bigot.  <he grins>

The Nazis and  Communists are both, of course,
artifacts of the belief that the State ought to
control everything and this is a product of the
Left.  These are brother ideologies and there's
really not a dime's bit of difference between
them even in their side elements such as
anti-semitism.  The true political line runs from
the Right ("let do as thy wilt be the whole of
thy law") to the Left ("that which is not
forbidden is compulsory").  Note well that the US
Christian fundamentalists are now shifting to
support for the US leftish political parties.

alone:  she was a political putz and a
photographic genius.  She and Eisenstein fit into
identical categories with the only difference
being that Leni spent five years in Allied
confinement while Eisenstein was under house
arrest for the final fifteen years of his life.

It's your turn at bat, BD, but please let us do this off-List.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:Leica Sighting)