Subject: [Leica] Re: SLRs attract much more attention than a rangefinder? Wha?
From: cschweda at gmail.com (cschweda)
Date: Wed Mar 28 18:07:28 2007

> I have never understood these kinds of statements.
> In the same vein,
> some people say an SLR attracts much more attention than a rangefinder.

> Now-a-days people probably pay more attention if you use a Leica
> rangefinder. You get "what on earth is THAT" reaction.

No one on any city street in America has any idea whatsoever what a
Leica is. No one.

The only people who think in terms of "rangefinder" and "leica" and
"slr" are the people who are holding the cameras -- me and all the
other folks I bump into on Michigan Aveneue on a daily basis.
(Apparently, there are three or four regulars, including Trib
photographers.)

When I say, "People don't pay attention" I mean people don't get out
of my way when I lift the camera to my eye. They barge right through
the frame. Which is fine with me. After I snap the picture and am in
the process of moving on, I see them out of the corner of my eye
peering at me, staring at me, wondering: did he just do what I thought
he did?

On the other hand, I watch newspaper photographers walking up and down
Michigan Ave with three, four Canon and Nikon SLRs dangling from their
necks. These guys lift their cameras to their eyes, point it wherever,
and people -- very politely, I might add because we *are* in the
midwest -- get out of the way. This is great if you want a clear shot
of Trump Tower going up on Wacker, but frankly, I'd rather have folks
barge through my frame, ignore me, and pretend: hell, he's only got a
crappy little camera.

Which I do.

Chris
http://www.metaincognita.com