Subject: [Leica] Re: Corvair
From: rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant)
Date: Thu Mar 29 05:13:07 2007

I put a full John Fitch Sprint suspension and steering kit on my '63, which
transformed the car completely, but as I remember it also required larger
rear tires and very careful attention to the tire pressures, to make the
thing handle.  As modified it was a real pleasure to drive.  The short
steering arms made it possible to keep up with the oversteer without winding
your elbows together, but I do remember a few 360's on wet roads in my
reckless college days.  I still have copies of some old correspondence with
John Fitch, who as far as I know is still alive and one of the last of the
Americans who raced in Europe in the '50s.
And I am completely in agreement with Marc about Nader.
Somewhere I must have a few photos of the Corvair, probably taken with a
Yashica rangefinder camera I had then.  It (the Corvair, not the camera) was
totalled in a headon collision with a lost tourist on a one-lane dirt road
while I was racing a friend of mine in a SAAB.  Ah, the days of immortality!

Richard