Subject: [Leica] M8 Coming Home
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Mon Apr 2 12:13:51 2007

Jeff wrote:

>>Not a complaint, just a curious observation.<<

We seem to be very tolerant of Leica. We downplay things that we
wouldn't put up with from other companies. I don't know why that is, but
I'm as guilty as the next person. However, I'm becoming a little less
tolerant these days.

The best service I ever had was from Hasselblad. Years ago I sent a CF
80 in for a warranty repair. A few days later I received a brand new CF
120 Makro-Planar (which just happened to be a lens that I really wanted
and was worth more than double what the 80 was worth). Of course, I had
to return it as they'd shipped it in error. But still, it was fun for a
day. My 80 came back the next day. I couldn't believe the quick turn
around.

I also sent in a 60 C. I'd bought it used for next to nothing. It was
abused and the front element was severely scratched. Mainly out of
curiosity I shot test after test to see if the scratch would degrade an
image image. After numerous rolls of chrome film and tech pan -- shot at
every aperture, every focusing distance and many different lighting
conditions -- I couldn't see any sign of the defect. I finally gave up
trying.

I still sent the lens to Hasselblad. I couldn't' stand looking at the
scratch and it needed a slow shutter speed overhaul. Hasselblad said
they weren't sure they could fix the front element. They said it
depended on whether they had a replacement in stock. Not only did it
require the right element, but the element had to be from a certain
batch of glass. It sounded complicated. I assumed it would be expensive.

Hasselblad replaced the front element and they overhauled the shutter.
In face, when I got it back the lens looked like new. Turn around was a
week or two. Total cost was around $125. (I think my tests cost me more
than the repair). I couldn't believe it was so inexpensive. It wasn't
that long ago; just over a decade. I'll always be fond of Hasselblad,
for that and other reasons.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] M8 Coming Home)