Subject: [Leica] Re: Table radios
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Apr 2 16:49:10 2007

On Apr 2, 2007, at 1:08 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> When I first saw the Tivoli radio I thought it looked surprisingly
> like the KLH model that Henry Kloss designed in the 70's. After
> reading further down in the ad it stated it was a Henry Kloss design.
> Boy that guy gets around and likes to start new companies. His AR,
> Advent, KLH, Kloss and now Tivoli designs are audio classics. If it
> were me I would buy the Tivoli. I would agree that a Kloss design
> would probably bring in a higher price. But the difference in the
> Radio Shack price would be too good to be true if it were a rebranded
> Tivoli. What you can do is try the RS radio and if you don't like it
> you can always return it.
>
> Len
>

> On Apr 2, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
>

>> LUGgers: My faithful kitchen clock radio has given up the ghost
>> after many years. I want to replace it with something that has good
>> sound and good FM reception. I mostly listen to classical music,
>> NPR news and jazz. It doesn't have to replace my living room
>> stereo, but I want good sound, as we spend a lot of time in the
>> kitchen/dining area.
>>
>> After reading reviews, it looks like the Tivoli Model One has about
>> the best cost/performance ratio, and many people speak highly of
>> it. Any of you folks have experience with it?
>> http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.php?productid=139&cat=262&page=1

Len and Peter,

Indeed the Tivoli looks like the KLH radio. Henry Kloss and Edgar
Villchur started the modern hi-fi era by inventing the AR series of
acoustic suspended loudspeakers. When audio amplifier power became
cheap they realized that they could trade electrical efficiency for
small size and a good low frequency response. Prior to the early '50s
most loudspeaker design centered around bass reflex and exponential
horn implementations, culminating in the Klipsch six foot tall corner
horn. These speakers were 25% efficient at converting electrical
power into acoustic energy while the AR design of Villchur and Kloss
was only about 1.5% efficient. But if you didn't need to fill a
theater with sound, the bookcase sized AR speakers were far more
convenient.

Kloss eventually left AR and started the Advent Company (also KLH).
The Tivoli radio is an evolution of the Advent 400, the first small
high quality tabletop radio. Both radios use high quality tuner
circuitry, and a small (about 5 watt) low distortion amplifier. The
Advent used a separate air suspension speaker which could be
positioned anywhere the 20 foot tether wire could reach. The Tivoli
uses a 3" long throw speaker in the cabinet. Both radios contained
circuitry which tailored the amplifier output to provide the most
linear response possible from the small speakers. It is sort of like
the software in a digital camera.

The Bose Waveguide radio uses different technology. Bose managed to
cram a pair of two foot long ducts into a 12" wide cabinet. The front
of each of the stereo speakers radiates directly into the air while
the sound emanating from the rear travels through a folded duct. This
trick provides acoustic sound reinforcement down to about 100 HZ.
Truly phenomenal for such a small enclosure. The Bose radios sound
very good but they cost 4 times as much as the Tivoli.

I had the good fortune to know both Kloss and Villchur during and
just after my student days. In 1963 I performed anechoic chamber
tests at my university on the newly introduced AR3 speakers and wrote
a favorable review for Radio and Electronics magazine. Villchur gave
me a pair of the new speakers in appreciation. I hasten to say that
the bribe came after the review was printed. Villchur and Kloss are
long gone but the speakers still grace my living room.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Re: Table radios)