Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 370
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Apr 3 06:51:36 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Bob wrote:

> Hate to say this, but I, too, have a Tivoli Model One welded to my
> local NPR station.
>
> Believe me, I'm no audio snob despite the fact that I go through
> phases of building custom audio gear for part of my income.  I gotta
> say that the Tivoli has a very good tuner section, but the cheap pots
> & switches are no joy and the spectral response is heavily weighted
> down by a low-mid resonance that seems contrived to provide a fake
> sense of warmth & heft.

A 3" loudspeaker in a small closed cabinet would normally have a
resonance near 200 Hz, about half an octave lower than middle C on a
piano. Curiously the ear can be fooled into thinking it hears real
bass notes if the higher harmonics of the missing bass notes are
boosted enough. This trick is analogous to the use of edge sharpening
to provide the illusion of critical focus in a slightly blurred
photo. Providing real bass in a loudspeaker, like providing high
resolution in a camera lens, is an expensive proposition. You can't
fool Mother Nature although you can fool most human beings. The
makers of the Tivoli Radio and the makers of most cheap digital
cameras have managed to do just that.

Larry Z