Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Apr 3 19:27:57 2007
References: <9b678e0704031118l6edb5279tfbeb64b9fcaf6632@mail.gmail.com> <DC4B73A4105FCE4FAE0CEF799BF84B36013F1DEE@case-email> <7.0.1.0.2.20070403173604.02621660@comporium.net> <DD8587F8-4095-4441-8575-7CA949CFE507@mac.com> <7.0.1.0.2.20070403183707.026b1b50@comporium.net> <EB83BBEC-67F4-4D1C-A3F2-AAE6D68F9928@mac.com> <r3o513tk32qnatbmm0hfielgc335st8h9b@4ax.com> <0385E299-7971-4044-844A-B4140205302D@mac.com>

George,
I think the numbers work very differently for 35mm shooters and medium and
large format shooters.  Even at $20 a sheet for a large format shot
including processing you might only shoot two polaroids and two shots.
Somewhat different in medium format but still involving pulling a few roids
to get in the zone.  With 35mm you tended to overshoot and bracket so film
and processing cost quite a bit.

You also hinted at another side which is you shoot more things as the
incremental cost is essentially free.  So, while I was in LV I shot about
700 frames call it 19 rolls of film.  In color that would be about $285.  In
the digital world it cost me about $80 for the prints so far.  Twenty weeks
like that and the M8 will be essentially paid for.  So far I am using the
same computer and have added a fairly large hard drive for temporary
storage.  Software does cost but the reality is that working in the digital
world is better than printing in the dark.

Why?  Because I can print something out and look at it for a while.  Unlike
in the dark where you have elaborate notes about burn/dodge multiple
dilutions of developers and time spent with  a brush and bleach I can add a
layer mask and change something on a whim and in four minutes look at a dry
print.  Plus, if a friend likes an image it is nothing to print another one
exactly like the first.  You know this.

But, as a fellow old fart, I also remember the joy of using an old familiar
tool in hand and working with it to create something.  For example, I was
going to let my oldest brother have a cabinet makers set of knives my
grandfather used but realize that it would be very good therapy to not use a
power router but to instead figure out how to use three different knives to
create the edge I need to put on some doors I need to make.

As to the value of photography, like always the true artist and visionary
will do just fine.  Just because your peers have 10,000 frames of
Johnny/Martinette kicking the soccer ball doesn'nt mean you don't have the
only image of Mom and little brother looking on with that certain look in
their eye.  Pity the poor screenwriters trying to come up with a truly
original story.

Peace.

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] A good while ago)
Message from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] A good while ago)