Subject: [Leica] pocket digital
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Thu Apr 5 16:23:10 2007

George,

I have had a D-Lux 3 for a number of months (4 or so) now and have
taken around 3000 photos with it. In short it is the best point and
shoot camera I have ever used. The lens is simply outstanding, the
10MP 16:9 sensor is also excellent. Having said that...

This is the camera that converted me to shooting raw exclusively. The
noise reduction at higher ISOs using the cameras built-in jpg
converter is overly aggressive and simply not that good, resulting in
smudgy - for want of a better term - jpgs at 400 and up. Conversely,
using ACR or more recently Lighroom, I'm very happy indeed with the
results, the color, the detail, and the Leica look. I've used it
professionally a number of times (usually after shooting a set with
the 20D or E-330), and a number of times ended up with the D-Lux shot
being the one used.

The classic case, in brown molded leather, makes for a very Leica-
like carrying experience.

Great camera.

Will von Dauster