Subject: [Leica] M8 picture in magenta light
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Apr 6 07:33:24 2007

Howard Ritter showed:

>>Took this picture at a local restaurant, tempting fate by
photographing a subject illuminated by a magenta-filtered
incandescent light using an M8 without an IR filter. (Recipe for
disaster.)

I lost. But an interesting effect. Lucky for the performer his scalp
isn't black synthetic fabric....

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/hlritter/One-man+band.html<<<<<<<

Hi Howard,
Considering the variation of light conditions I'd be glad I had an exposure
at all! A pox on the on going concerns of people about M8 and IR.

In this kind of indoor night club situation who's going to say the light
isn't right? It isn't daylight that one can relate to or strobe or colour
that any viewer can say for absolute sure that there's even IR light here?

Sure I suppose because it's lit by "red light bulbs." So big deal? It's
never going to look like high noon on a sunny day with IR filters or not.

I've shot in tons of night clubs and other bar scenes where the light was
absolutely wild. In the good old days it was shoot some on daylight balanced
film. Some on tungsten film! And choose whichever one looked the best!

The very neat part?

Both scenes looked cool!! Magazine art director liked the look, the owner of
the clubs thought I was a magician with a camera! And that's all that
matters as they pay the bills! And quite frankly, I was as happy as fox in a
hen house they turned out as well as they did!

So in your case of no IR filters and living dangerously and "you lost" is
totally meaningless under these conditions. You didn't lose, you won a damn
fine bar scene others would fear to tread without using twinkie lights!
FLASH in other words!;-)

It only matters where there's a fixed "light colour" the viewer can relate
to. Certainly not the lighting of a night club!

Actually it's fine. There maybe some sort of " grain" (noise) effect as you
mentioned due to shooting at high ASA rating. However shoot this scene with
a Canon 20D at 3200 and you would be laughing all the way to the bank! ;-)

Sorry guys I had to throw that in just to stir the pot a little! ;-)

ted

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] M8 picture in magenta light)
Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] M8 picture in magenta light)