Subject: [Leica] Re: Some New Pix
From: socphoto at verizon.net (Carl Socolow)
Date: Tue Apr 10 16:50:09 2007

Luis,

gracias por sus felicidades. I work with two Leicas: an MP .85 for my 50mm
and 75mm lenses and an M6 .72 Classic for my 35mm and 28mm lenses. Most of
the time I keep a 4th generation 35mm Summicron on the M6 because I don't
feel like wearing the weight of the 35mm Summilux ASPH when I'm working
outside. The same goes for the MP on which I keep a 50mm Summicron. All my
lenses are tabbed so I can focus by feel. I use a 50mm Summilux and the 35mm
Summilux ASPH when it starts to get darker. I keep the 75mm Summilux with me
most of the time but find I rarely use it. I recently purchased the 28mm
Summicron because I found I needed the wider field of view and the speed in
some tighter spaces. I also do my panoramics with a Hasselblad XPan II with
the 45mm lens. Everything, except the couple dancing was captured on Tri-X
developed in Xtol 1:1. The couple dancing was on Ilford Delta 3200 rated at
1600 at 1/30 at f1.4. I'm not afraid to handhold down to 1/4 second if
that's what it takes. I don't use supplemental lighting other than what's
there. I'm now scanning my negatives using a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 with
a fluidmount film holder. I bought this because I needed to scan the Xpan
24x65mm negs and wasn't happy with the results from my previous scanner and
stitching in Photoshop. I've found the fluid mounting results in incredibly
sharp negatives because of the excellent film flatness and it minimizes
dust-spotting. I usually spend 3-5 hours Photoshopping my files to get them
to where I want them. Sometimes I'll scan the negs twice: once for overall
and once for problematic highlights or shadows. I use Vuescan as my scanning
software. I hope this is helpful and not more than you wanted to know.

Carl

Message: 14