Subject: [Leica] re: model releases
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Wed Apr 11 04:57:31 2007

>I talked to an editor yesterday about my "Congregation" series.  (The
>photos aren't up on my site now.)  She asked about model releases for
>the people who're in the photos.  She wasn't saying I needed them;
>she was asking if I knew if I needed them.

When I was working for [insert name of famous photographer] I was suprised
to discover that she had a model release for every person she'd ever
photographed despite the editorial, non-commercial nature of her work. Fast
forward several years, my own book contract had a line that said I was
responsible for providing model releases for every image in the book. At a
few meetings someone from the publisher would say "these people might be
upset with being on the cover, I don't know if we can use this" to which my
answer was "they signed a model release." Your models may be very happy to
be in your images, and you may know that because you talked to them and had
a verbal agreement, but a model release let's other people know that too.

You may not technically or legally need them (i'm not a lawyer) but
publication is always going to be easier for you if you do.

that's my two cents.

kc

Replies: Reply from kennybod at sbcglobal.net (Ken Frazier) ([Leica] re: model releases)