Subject: [Leica] Re: [LRflex] K-word - Apologies inside
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed Apr 11 11:30:23 2007

On Apr 11, 2007, at 6:18 AM, Philippe Amard wrote:

> Hi listers and luggers,
> Charlie pointed out to me the right definition of Kitsch
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch>
>
> I knew the origins as an art school debate motive and I used the K
> word
> for a pix by Steve Barbour, in earnest ... not about the photo - which
> was excellent - but about the young girl's hairdo - my (kitschy?)
> taste,
> I know. So sorry Steve if there was any kind of misunderstanding
> about this.

  no problem whatsoever Philippe... it's an interesting issue to
contemplate,   I like the image but I didn't choose the hairdo...and
there is nothing wrong with that hairdo for the purpose.

I do think the wiki definition of kitsch is more negative then some...

though part of the definition is quoted here...

"Though kitsch and kitschy may be terms used to criticize, the term
is sometimes used as a compliment as well, with some finding kitschy
artwork to be enjoyable for its "retro" value or unintentional,
ironic humor or garishness."

and in that sense I do at times find aspects of Kyle Cassidy's
wonderful series of folk/gun photos worthy of the term
kitsch...almost a satire of themselves,

  but maybe that's just me...

Steve

Message from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] K-word - Apologies inside)