Subject: [Leica] Any opinions on the best 35mm LTM?
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Thu Apr 12 20:26:23 2007

For a direct quote from Tom's letter:

One of the unsung lenses in the Leica production is
the 35/2,8 Summaron. If you don't need the speed, this
is a great lens. Remember that to get high speed
performance in a lens something usually got to give
(size, weight or mid f-stop performance). The 35/2,8
is as sharp as the other 35's at f4 and 5,6 and
sometimes I suspect that they are sharper than the
"faster" counterparts. They are also usually cheaper
and in better condition than the used 35/2's and 1,4's
as they most likely were bought by non-professionals
and treated much more gently. I have a couple of these
lenses and what always strikes me is the close-up
performance (0,7 to 1,5 meters), noticeably better
than the 35/2's or 1,4's.