Subject: [Leica] iView Media Pro and M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Apr 18 11:53:04 2007

>Does anyone have experience with iView Media Pro cataloging software
>and M8 DNG files?Does it recognize / display them? Is it the catalog
>software of the day? Problems?
>
>Regards,
>George Lottermoser
>george@imagist.com

iView only deals with the 'thumbnails' of the DNG's at this time.
That means about 300x300 pixels, which isn't too bad but you can't
look at the images at full screen or pixel level size as you can with
images that it fully supports.

Since it's been bought up by Microsoft, I'm not that sure I'll stick
with it. I've used it since way back after I got unhappy with
Extensis Portfolio, and all in all iView has been excellent. While it
was shareware the developers were very reesponsive to new formats;
when it went commercial the responsiveness went down but the overall
quality went up. Now it's a Microsoft product....

Microsoft announced that an Intel Mac version would be coming out in
'Q2 2007', when they come out with the first version built by them.
They've already announced some features for the new version that will
be Windows only, so who knows how long MS will support the Mac.

Catalogs are good for up to 128,000 images, but 75,000 or so seems to
be a reasonable practical limit. After that it starts getting quite
slow. In most respects it is excellent, and I have been very pleased
with it.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design