Subject: [Leica] Leica Service in Hong Kong
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (pmcc)
Date: Fri Apr 20 16:33:11 2007

Howard,

Access to camera service in HK sures beats hollow
anything we have in the States. Over the counter
service?  Forget it. Ability to talk face-to-face with
the tech?  In your dreams.  Fast turnaround?  Hahaha.

Around 1999 my IIIf jammed in Beijing and when I got
to HK, Joseph went with me to see Mr. Lee (the retired
Schmidt tech) who CLA'd it for me in a couple of days.
I am reminded of this because when I had dinner with
them last week, Sarah produced some photos Joseph had
taken of me with Mr. Lee (both Mr. Lee and I were
young and beautiful then; Sarah remains so). On the
occasion when Joseph had the big HK LUG dinner at the
Foreign Correspondents Club, for which Adrian appeared
from Shanghai and I came in from Bangkok, my CLE with
the notoriously fragile film wind jammed and Mr. Chin
had it fixed for me in a flash. It's hard to get
anyone here even to touch a CLE. Back when he was
still in his prime, Mr. Lee did a CLA on my >1m# SS M3
which had never been touched (L seal intact) and it
was the best job I've ever had done (including the
work of the the Leica virtuousos oft mentioned here).
Silky smooth like a finely tuned Swiss watch, RF clear
and bright, with a turnaround within a week. Still my
best mechanical camera. Last week I sent a bashed body
to Joseph from Shanghai (OK, I'm a little hard on my
gear when I travel). The tech fixed it while Joseph
watched and then Joseph took him out to lunch. The
repaired body is on its way back to me in SF via EMS
as we speak.

Efficient lot, you Hong Kongers. No dithering about.
Of course, having good friends with guanxi doesn't
hurt either.

PMCC.
SF, CA