Subject: [Leica] Leica Service in Hong Kong -- Now Ted's Nose Grease & a Leicagoodies plug
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Fri Apr 20 22:03:01 2007

Mark, you must be a good luck charm!  I picked up the Heliopan 77mm
pol that's been frozen to a heliopan 77/60 step up for the last year,
and after a minute or two of twisting, it finally came apart!  I've
tried two different filter wrenches, asked a repairman, all for
nothing.  Maybe its the weather.  It's supposed to rain tomorrow.
Or the alignment of the stars.  I'll lube it next time.

Brass is nicer feeling and looking, but I've never had aluminum get
stuck so that I could not get it apart with filter wrenches, even
aluminum on aluminum.  What irked me is the step up ring was from the
$150 Leicagoodies.com Steps set.  The set includes 39-46, 46-55,
55-60 and E60-77 Heliopan brass step up rings, the latter having
windows to see through the M viewfinder.  I haven't seen the 60-77
anywhere else, and didn't want to have to buy the whole set again!
(And yes, I did suggest to them adding a 49-55 for the Tri-Elmar)

BTW, Ted Grant's nose grease suggestion has worked great for me over
the years - viscous enough on stay on the item, but not too thick.
And always at hand, at least on my nose.

Tom