Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Sun Apr 22 17:19:46 2007

Either the Leica Universal Pol filter which Michiel links to, or get
the $150 Leicagoodies.com Steps set + what ever brand 77mm Pol filter
you prefer.  The Steps set has a 60-77mm step up ring with windows in
the side for you to look through to see the pol effect. without
having to flip back and forth or take away from your eye.  It comes
with progressively increasing step up rings, allowing you to use it
with lenses having 39, 46, 55 and 60mm filter sizes.    This is
similar to the 49mm-67mm ring Leica sells for the Tri-Elmar, but more
versatile and has a bigger area to look through.  You could also use
it with the Tri-Elmar if you add a 49-55mm step-up ring (which
doesn't come with the set).

I really like Leica's pol filters, though, since they seem to be more
neutral in color and have less neutral density in them, and IMHO seem
"snappier", but the latter may just be my imagination.  But the Steps
set is more versatile in that it works with 55 and 60mm sizes.  I'm
not sure whether Leica made a 77mm Pol filter.  I want one if they did!

If you like to make things yourself, just get a $10 generic 55-77mm
step up ring, and drill and file out the windows to look through.
You could make up your own steps set much more cheaply that way.  But
then you don't get the nicely machined brass rings that Mark Rabiner
is soooo fond of!  ;-)

Tom Schofield