Subject: [Leica] On the Up and UP
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sat Apr 21 12:17:59 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 2:50 PM, afterswift@aol.com wrote:

> I believe the NYT has a standard for journalistic veracity that
> prohibits any manipulation of an image, digital or otherwise. I
> suppose the photographer can compose and crop in the viewfinder,
> but not in post processing. There is a good reason for that, it
> seems to me. The editor can justifiably assume that the viewfinder
> image was dictated by the immediate conditions in the scene.

subject choice has no meaning? The chosen moment has no affect?

> Therefore, the photographer can not be held responsible for the
> missing information.

even if he used a 90 instead of a 21?

> But the editor will not tolerate the cold-blooded addition or
> removal of information.
> That would misinform the reader who expects the original image.

one of the examples of the Toledo photog was the removal of an
electrical cord in a photo that was already too busy. Please explain
how anyone was misinformed in any meaningful manner.

> I figure that the reader's expectation of the real goods is the
> gold standard.

just as the diner's expectation of a great hamburger are the gold
standard when he walks into McDonalds?

> If the photographer missed vital information in the composition, it
> is up to the editor to discover it, probably by questioning the
> reporter who worked with the photographer;

I'll accept that as soon as the editor talks with the photg to
determine if the conclusions and statements of the reporter are
correct. Reporters should be held to the same standards. How would
they be defined?

The simplicity of these "rules" are based on ignorance of the field
and its tools.

Again, tell me how to make this same rules for the writer, and I'll
be much more comfortable with them being applied to photographers.

> or the editor can request to see additional shots of the same scene
> made at the same time if available. Ultimately, it's the
> photographer's reputation that the editor can depend on.

I agree.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/