Subject: [Leica] On the Up and UP
From: afterswift at aol.com (afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sat Apr 21 11:50:46 2007

I believe the NYT has a standard for journalistic veracity that prohibits
any manipulation of an image, digital or otherwise. I suppose the
photographer can compose and crop in the viewfinder, but not in post
processing. There is a good reason for that, it seems to me. The editor can
justifiably assume that the viewfinder image was dictated by the immediate
conditions in the scene. Therefore, the photographer can not be held
responsible for the missing information. But the editor will not tolerate
the cold-blooded addition or removal of information.
That would misinform the reader who expects the original image. I figure
that the reader's expectation of the real goods is the gold standard.

If the photographer missed vital information in the composition, it is up to
the editor to discover it, probably by questioning the reporter who worked
with the photographer; or the editor can request to see additional shots of
the same scene made at the same time if available. Ultimately, it's the
photographer's reputation that the editor can depend on.

Chances are that if a photographer presents the original negatives with the
prints his work would carry more weight as to authenticity. I assume there
will always be a few traditionalists who will shoot film on assignment -- or
at least use one film camera among the digitals.

If anybody wants to shed their M3, M6, M7 for a few symbolic bucks, I'll
take them off your hands. Hey, I'm using a 9 year old Dell PC Pentium II
with Windows 2000 Pro. I'm not proud.

Bob

AOL at AOL.com.

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] On the Up and UP)