Subject: [Leica] Re: Collapsible 50mm Summicron
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Apr 22 12:40:10 2007

On Apr 22, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Luis wrote:

> I agree with you, the background is distracting. I've purchased the 50
> Collapsible at Leica Bei Master, by mail order and I'm fully
> satified with
> him. I'm still experimenting with this lens, it gives a great grey
> tones,
> and I like this aspect very much, is the first time I shot with it
> an slow
> film as 50 ASA, and I'm very happy with the results.

Luis,

The collapsible 50 mm Summicron is a great lens - often underrated by
Leica gear heads. While not as critically razor sharp as the follow
on Summicron DR, it gives a lovely rendition to middle tones and a
very slightly warmer aspect to color photos. Now that image contrast
is far easier to alter than it was in the days when the lens was new,
Leica's sacrifice of resolution for contrast in subsequent lenses
seems no longer necessary. I bought a collapsible Summicron with my
first Leica M3 in 1954 and I have it to this day. I wouldn't part
with it. Good as the ASPH lenses are, the pictures are not as
pleasing as those taken with the 50+ year old Summicron. Besides, it
lets the camera fit into your pocket.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Re: Collapsible 50mm Summicron)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Re: Collapsible 50mm Summicron)