Subject: [Leica] Re: Collapsible 50mm Summicron
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Apr 22 14:55:58 2007

A lot of our view of the first-generation
Summicron lenses comes from aggressiving
advertising by Leitz and by Leitz dealers between
1954 and 1968.  Allow us to move beyond this and review the bidding.

The 2/5cm Summitar (1939 to 1954, only in LTM) is
a really remarkable lens, and is a most
satisfactory normal optick.  The one I own was
the first Leitz lens I ever bought, and my family
will have to peel it from my dead fingers after
my passage to the hereafter, as I have no
intention of getting rid of it any earlier!  I
recognize that in hard testing on an optical
bench, the CZJ 2/5cm Sonnar edges it out a bit on
most parameters, but both the Summitar and Sonnar
are quite nice lenses in use.

The 2/5cm collapsible Summicron was a marginal
improvement in optical performance on the
Summitar but was not the earth-shaking explosion
of excellence Leitz claimed and the US photo
press reported.  Leitz claimed that the
collapsible Summicron was redesigned to
accomodate the growing force of color photography
but this is not really true:  the Summitar is
perfectly capable of decent color imagery.  Leitz
started to wake up to market economics with the
collapsible Summicron by shifting almost all of
their lenses to an E39 filter thread in place of
the unique threads used on earlier lenses, such
as the E36.4 thread used on the Summitar, a unique design.

The first versions of the collapsible Summicron
contained radioactive rare-earth elements.  These
proved to be too expensive for mass production
and most of these lenses have non-radioactive
glasses.  Leitz in those days had its own
optical-glass lab but did not produce the glasses
it used in lens production;  these were purchased
through Schott, a Zeiss subsidiary and, thanks to
the Versailles Treaty, the only optical glass
manufactory in Germany at that time, even though
Germany had renounced that Treaty two decades
earlier.  Schott supplied and supplies many
glasses but does not make them all:  many of the
optical glasses listed in the Schott catalogue to
this day come from Hoya in Japan and a few come
from the USA;  in recent years, they have added
glass suppliers from the former Warsaw Pact
nations.  The significant point is that Schott
controls the formula and works with its suppliers
to meet the needs of customers.  All Hoya glasses
are made, for instance, to meet Schott standards,
and I believe that Schott is currently selling
about 2/3 of Hoya's production, as Schott, unlike
Zeiss and Leitz, will cut one heck of a deal.

The next version of the 2/5cm Summicron was the
rigid lens, which later appeared with a revised
mount as the DR ("Dual Range"), also known as the
NF ("Near Focus").  This again tweaked the basic
design to produce incremental improvements in
performance.  The difference between a
collapsible and rigid 2/5cm Summicron is really
not great;  for that matter, the difference in
performance between the Summitar and the rigid Summicron is not that great.

Those who do their own darkroom work can see the
differences:  take a roll of slow-speed film and
take identical shots with all three versions
(Summitar, collapsible Summicron, rigid
Summicron/DF) and then properly develop the film
for minimum grain (TMY and Rodinal are not a
recommended combination!).  Then play with
cropped images to learn the differences.  I have
done this, years back, and the superior
performance of the rigid Summicron can only be
noted with a lot of printing enlargement.  (I
used a DR, only available in M BM, so I used
adapters to fit the Summitar and collapsible Summicron to my M3).

I own all of these lenses:  the 2/5cm Summitar is
on my IIIc, the 2/5cm collapsible Summicron is on
my IIIg, and the 2/5cm DR Summicron is on my
M3.  In the end, there really is not much of a
difference between them, despite the claims of
Lietz' advertising at the time and the claims of
the clerks at Leitz' dealers back in the Longago.

The important point is to USE these lenses, as all are capable of great work.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Re: Collapsible 50mm Summicron)