Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Apr 22 19:05:09 2007

Marc, one question from your reply.
"Querent" !!! C'mon, you made that up didn't you ;-)

I think Ric simply would like some suggestions on how to use a polarizer on
an M.
Ric, I went through this consideration. I found that with my M7 and good
slide film anything to enhance contrast, darken skies, was
completely unnecessary.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/Tas/PA43.jpg.html>

 The other thing that the polarizer will do for you of course, is cut out
reflections, say for photographing water or through glass
as you know. That may or may not be a good thing in your shot. But less
obvious is that it will improve foliage colours by cutting
out the sky reflection from leaves etc.

Leica's design is a circular polarizer, so you could use it on AF cameras as
well, assuming filter size compatibility. The filter
has a more complex mount, allowing it to be swung through 180 degrees from
in front of the lens to see the effect through your
finder. The effect is the same as long as the change is 180 degrees.
Sadly they cost a gazillion dollars but I suppose that would be no surprise.
I thought that the Kenko was a neat idea and cheaper
alternative, however I haven't handled one.
The BW filter handbook has some good basics on polarizer filter design. You
can download it.

Cheers
Hoppy