Subject: [Leica] IR Cut filters Comparo and Question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 22 19:30:01 2007

On 4/22/07 9:58 PM, "Leonard Taupier" <len-1@comcast.net> typed:

> Mark,
>
> It's probably easier to say the M8 is 10 f stops more sensitive to IR
> then a Nikon D2X. This number is a guess based on my usage of both
> cameras. It may be 8, 9 or 11 stops but it's a lot. I can easily shot
> M8 IR photos with 89B filters on the lens handheld at fairly high
> shutter speeds. I can't come close to hand holding with a D2X.
>
> Len

I can understand Leicas reticence to not knee jerk indiscriminately screen
out all the nice infra red light waves which I'm prone to think are very
nice light waves I'd like to get to know better in the near future.
And not have screened out for me without my say so like all the other
Lemming companies do. Nikon Canon Sony. Not completely I guess.

In this issue of American Photographer there's an IR shot digital from a
digital conversion camera of the Arlington Cemetery. But you can see any
ghosting.

I cant wait to be able to dail in the amount of IR I want in a shot.
>From 0 to full. Keep track of the ozone layer. Make sure the trees are all
real.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s