Subject: [Leica] Polarizing filter
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Apr 22 22:09:27 2007

On 4/22/07 11:45 PM, "Ric Carter" <ricc@mindspring.com> typed:

> Thanks, Hoppy.
>
> I was never a frequent user of polarizers, but occasionally I like to
> darken a sky or cut some reflections in water. I just didn't know how
> one best did that with a non-slr.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ric

Sometimes I just spin mine and guess.
Like a roulette wheel. With the side of my finger though.

My most popular technique is to put it on and then forget its on there.
It'll be on there for rolls and weeks. Who knows what its doing? Good things
I'm sure. Then I go "what's this gray wiggly thing doing on the front of my
lens?"

You can look at the little arrows in your finder where the meter is and make
the one light up more which indicates more light has been cut. But that gets
confusing if you're real tired and have undergone brain damage.

You can get the one Leica makes now for a fraction of a thousand dollars and
you can see what you're doing and all. No fun. Too big. But I've never done
it so who knows.

You can put a little mark with a magic marker (I'm really good at that) on
the ring and turn that to the sun. have it be in the same place after you
then put it on the lens. Something like that. Or just as I said before just
forget to do all this as I do all the time.
I'd like one with little numbers on the outside of the rim I hear they are
out there and could see how they could work.
You just remember the number which points towards the sun. put it back on
the lens on the camera and use it that number. Write the number down or
record it into a mini digital tape recorder if your like me when you get
tired..

Could you take the lens off the camera and look though it with the filter on
turning it till it got the darkest? Maybe I'll try that. Then change money
for when anyone else tries to do it.

But in defense of mindlessness I've heard its a real good thing to not to to
the max on the polarization setting. Pull back a bit in the name of
discretion.
If that's the case then I say anything goes.
Including Random.

Random is new well incisive and obsessive technique. Its all over the
internet.
Random jokes or quotes at the bottom of each of your emails it started out.
Now other random distractions.
Images with galleries. Random stereo pairs to pair up with a photo you show
someone. You know what they say ones company twos a pair.

At a parking lot near at a mall I used to frequent in Portland was a sign
saying to not to break into cars but to
BEWARE OF RANDOM BICYCLES.
This I found very ominous
For awhile making me very thoughtful.

With security guards riding them. Brave ones I found out later.

One could pull up riding a Blue Schwinn Continental
And arrest you.
Next one pulls up with a Red Raleigh 3 speed and a red wicker basket in the
front with handcuffs in it.
And arrest you.

You never know!

Mark Rabiner