Subject: [Leica] Re: Nocti focus shift
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Apr 24 20:55:54 2007

On Apr 24, 2007, at 10:13 PM, Tom wrote:

> Rather than jumping to the conclusion that the Noctilux is unusable
> on the M8, perhaps adjusting one's technique in anticipation of the
> problem is in order.   You said as much yourself - instead of
> focusing on the eyeball, focus on the tip of the nose when shooting
> at f 2.0, for example.  Like Ted practicing to "lead" the peak of
> action when releasing the shutter in order to get the basketball in
> the frame instead of p-shopping one in!

Isn't this a good rationale for incorporating autofocus in the next
iteration of the digital M camera? It could be accomplished by moving
the sensor a millimeter or so after the lens was set to approximate
focus. The old Contax SLR did it. Why not Leica. This would permit
use of all Leica lenses. Of course you could turn it off it you truly
wanted the eyes out of focus. Of course I don't have a Noctilux so
the problem is just academic for me.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] Re: Nocti focus shift)
Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: Nocti focus shift)