Subject: [Leica] Re: Autofocus
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Apr 25 09:46:41 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:15 AM, A. Lal wrote:

> On SLRs AF works at full aperture. It cannot compensate for focus
> shift when
> the lens is stopped down to working aperture.  The Contax AX uses
> the moving
> film plane to focus the lens wide open, not to compensate for focus
> shift
> when stopped down..
>
> On  RF cameras, if the AF is designed to work through the lens at
> working
> aperture, the lens' DOF will compromise AF accuracy. This is why
> the G2 and
> many P&S cameras  used an external AF system.
>
> The only way to compensate for focus shift when the lens is stopped
> down is
> if the AF sysem is supported by a look-up table built into the
> camera with
> data for each lens.

I think you've got it!

The future Leica M  should have autofocus at working aperture using a
moving sensor plane and a chip with a lookup table for all Leica
coded lenses. This would insure a ready influx of cash since all
Leica users would ante up $125 to have six dots placed on their
lenses. Imagine the profit margin.

Also the look up table would have to be periodically revised as new
lenses are added. Another cash cow. A new chip costs about $3 but the
company could charge $300 for the revision. If this were done, the
company wouldn't even have to assure focus constancy on its lenses.
Forget about precision machining of the camera rangefinder linkage. A
correction factor for each camera could be loaded on to the chip at
manufacture. After all, Leica used thin metal shims under the lens
flange to adjust flange to film distance years ago. And you thought
the old Leicas were precision machines.

Leica could be on the verge of turning a profit with the M digital.
As an example, I own a chart plotter for my boat. This chart plotter
takes the GPS reading and shows me my position on a navigation chart
imaged on a 8" x 10" LCD display. The charts are digitized versions
of the NOAA charts already paid for by taxpayer money. They are
encoded on a chip, artfully designed to fit only my specific chart
plotter. Do I get the charts for free? You've got to be kidding. Each
chip costs me several hundred dollars for about 300 miles of
coastline. A charted trip along the Atlantic coast from Maine to
Florida would cost about $1600. As you have probably guessed, each
chart revision costs the same. The reprinting and repackaging of free
government navigational information has kept several companies larger
than Leica alive for years.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jpphoto at hci.net (John Payne) ([Leica] Re: Autofocus)