Subject: [Leica] IMG: Ira's PAW - Week 16 - For Bugatti Lovers
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 20:15:17 2007

During a trip last week to Appleton, WI, when a business meeting ended a
few
hours early, I headed down to Oshkosh to visit the EAA AirVenture  Museum.
Although there are many unique aircraft on display, this one  is my favorite.

1939 Bugatti Model 100 Racer, originally built (but never flown) for the
1939 Coupe Deutsche de la Merthe.
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/2007+PAW/2007+PAW+16.jpg.html_

(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/2007+PAW/2007+PAW+16.jpg.html)

The plane disappeared following WW2, surfacing in Connecticut in the  early
1970's - sans engines, which were Bugatti Type 50B motors run in  tandem
with
the driveshafts running beneath the pilot's armpits and driving
contra-rotating propellers.  The EAA received the plane in the late 1980's
and restored it
for static display.

Other photos here:
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Bugatti+100+Racer+-2.
jpg.html_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Bugatti+100+Racer+-2.jpg.html)

_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Bugatti+100+Racer+-3.
jpg.html_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Bugatti+100+Racer+-3.jpg.html)

One other very unique display is the last remaining XP-51 Mustang of 4
built.  It's much different than the typical production model (3-bladed
prop, chin
guns, staggered wing guns, etc.), but the makings of a thoroughbred  were
obvious even then:
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/2007+PAW/2007+PAW+16A.jpg.html
_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/2007+PAW/2007+PAW+16A.jpg.html)

And from above:
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/XP-51+Mustang+-2.jpg.
html_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/XP-51+Mustang+-2.jpg.html)

I added a few additional photos (Mosquito, Lightning, ?) to my Aircraft
Gallery, which may be viewed here:
_http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/_
(http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/)

Technical info:  Minilux Zoom, Fuji Superia  for all except the  Mosquito
(Leitz-Minolta CL, 50mm 'cron, Tri-X)

As always, comments welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, California

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] IMG: Ira's PAW - Week 16 - For Bugatti Lovers)