Subject: [Leica] The press now get paid to advertise their cameras?
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Mon Apr 30 15:08:33 2007

Adam,

At most major events Canon and Nikon are there with CPS and NPS
providing free camera check-ups and cleaning to the working pros.  They
also have equipment you can borrow, and they give away tons of badged
merchandise.  I have several bright red fanny packs with CANON on them,
as well as several black bags with gold NIKON on them.  They have given
out huge stickers that some guys stick on their lens hoods, which I bet
is what you saw.

Canon and Nikon do this knowing the guys will use the stuff, it is nice
stuff and FREE.  Canon and Nikon more than get their money back from the
free advertising this gives them.

Back in 1992 when I was covering the Masters I could not find CPS
anywhere, I saw NPS, but no CPS.  I asked where Canon was and I was told
that they were banned from the Masters, seems a few years before they
had given out fanny bags, they were the standard red with huge white
CANON on them.  Some guys wore them at the Masters, the MASTERS DOES NOT
ALLOW that, at ALL!  They kicked Canon off the grounds and yanked their
creds.   Now I do not know if this is the truth, but it is what was told
to me back then.  I did end up shooting with a Nikon N90 and 400 3.5
after my Canon 400 2.8 got water damage there...Nikon did not want to
give me a lens till I showed my NPS card and that I had three Nikon
bodies and only the one Canon body. LOL

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography