Subject: [Leica] Re: Results of April 2007 LUG photo contest (why there are no comments)
From: ausdlk at gmail.com (David Keenan)
Date: Thu May 3 10:56:24 2007

>I have no idea why almost no one is entering comments. Last month's contest
drew one comment on one >photograph. This month it was none.

There is just too much back-patting whenever images are offered for view (or
review) in almost any online forum -- and more often then not during
in-person interactions.

Even in my case, when I post my PAW announcements here on LUG, I mostly get
pats on the back (if I get any comment at all). Such support is nice and I
appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer such feedback.

But true critical feedback (or even negative) feedback is very rare. "I like
it" or "I don't like it" really doesn't help anyone.

I, for one, welcome real (even ruthless) feedback. I have paid for it on
occasion. Sure it can sting. I now have several more experienced
photographers in my circle who I want such feedback from. If a photograph
doesn't work or measure up somehow, I want to know. I'm not required to
believe anything I hear but I usually do.

It is impossible to reach beyond mediocrity (something I aspire to do)
without on-going honest and learned feedback.

Frankly, in the case of the LUG contest (of which I am a former judge), I
think that it simply boils down to a matter of time. There are many images
online -- not just the ones in this forum. And who has time to seriously
comment on what they see?

And given my position on comments like "I like it" which constitutes, what,
95% of feedback, then that is probably just as well.

Dave.

--
Web Site: www.david-keenan.com
2007 PAW: www.david-keenan.com/paw