Subject: [Leica] comments from one of the judges
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sat May 5 06:26:18 2007

I was pleased to see that 81 images had been submitted in April, the highest
number ever. However, I found the overall quality of the images in the April
contest below the level of previous months. In going through the images, I
could only award one or two stars to most images, with just a few getting 3
stars. In contrast, in previous months I have often given out 4 or 5 stars
to the images I liked best.

I think that the theme "red" was interpreted too literally by many
contestants. As a result, there are many mediocre images that I think were
entered only because there was something red in them. I would encourage
people to interpret the theme more broadly in the future, especially since
Brian has instructed the judges to simply rate the images on their
photographic merits and not on how closely they follow the theme.

On the positive side: the images that appear among the winners and honorable
mentions were also my favorites, so I guess I was in synch with the other
judges (and I do not know who they are). The winning image is a beautiful
abstract, well lit and well composed, although the title seems a bit out of
place, given the connotations of the phrase. I also gave 3 stars to "Hot
Lips"--just a fun portrait, well photographed.

My overall favorite image of the contest, though, was the third-place image,
"Kristy Prep". I like the light, the way the woman's face stands out, and
one can interpret the image on many levels: is she an object being prepared
for exhibition? The hands applying the make-up greatly add to the image,
indeed they MAKE the image, for me at least. Personally, I would crop the
image a bit tighter; there is a lot of dead space on the top and left sides
of the image which detracts from the composition.

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] comments from one of the judges)
Reply from walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson) ([Leica] comments from one of the judges)