Subject: [Leica] comments from one of the judges
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat May 5 09:00:24 2007

It seems many of our winners fit into the same category on a monthly
basis. Heavy on graphics and generally light on content. I'd prefer to
see judging based upon capturing those moments Leicas were made for.
/*Kristy Prep, */I think is an excellent example and would have put it
as #1. Although agreeing with the judge who thinks it's the best I can't
go along with his/her criticism. Dead space is something one deals with
with filling newspapers with images. What it generally means is we need
more space for ads, let's crop the hell out of everything. Sometimes, I
think, the eye needs a place to rest on an image. /*Kristy*/ can be
cropped but it loses an overall balance. Make it tight enough and the
hands seem to emerge from some dark place in a not too comfortable
manner. Ofter talking too much about an image does seem to detract. When
we can simply look and absorb. Unlike our judge, the hands don't MAKE it
for me. It is Kristy's acquiescences to the routine I find  has me
involved.

/*Hot Lips*/, on the other hand could sure use a bit of tightening up.
Nice image, great expression, but too loose. Steve's other image,/*White
Crosses*/, should have been a winner. Content, which fits the contest
criteria. Not that a monthly category should be limiting, but sometimes
a category does add a bit of discipline.

Mad's  /*Aros*/. to me, is more interesting than what placed first.
Graphic, mysterious and intriguing. Neal's /*Boom*,/ has great timing
and color. Degree of difficulty on that shot should count for something.
William's /*Colameter */and Neal's /*Barnflag */jumped out at me as well.

One other thing. Steve's self-portrait with the red hat. how the heck
did he do that?

Walt