Subject: [Leica] M5 questions
From: jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler)
Date: Thu May 10 21:02:53 2007

Hello,

I purchased my M5 (BGN) from KEH last year.  What arrived would have passed
for EXC / NEAR MINT on ebay.  The same is true with the lenses and bodies
(including an F4S) bought at bargain grade from them over the years.

I'm surprised they didn't fix the patch.  I'll bet if you call and talk to
them, they'll take it back and have it fixed no charge - or send you another
one if in stock.  That is, unless it was graded that way before you bought
it.  Otherwise, ask for a repair or replacement.

The repair shop at KEH is a great resource for Leica M's.  One of the
esteemed repair guys in the business recommended I use them and said they
were excellent - so I have.  They will also convert the battery compartment
for modern batteries if you ask them to - they might charge you, but it will
be minimal, especially if they're doing a warranty job on it as well.

I must admit using the M5 far more than the M3 these days.  I like the size
and feel.  I have big hands and the M5 just feels right - one of the reasons
a list member recommend I get one.  If it had TTL flash, I would sell my
CLE.  As it is, it doesn't do a bad job with a Metz 45 or 54 flash set on A;
or a Minolta 360PX on a Power Grip II for that matter - my local Leica
buddies cringe when they see it harnessed up to the Minolta though.  They
really hate it when it produces better pics than some of their high dollar
units.  :-)

If you have a 3 lug, you've got 28mm frame lines as well (I think that's the
distinguishing trait - someone correct me if I'm wrong).   That's by far my
favorite advantage over the M3.  Prior to buying it, I had to shoot the CLE
if I wanted accurate framing with my favorite lens, the 28mm, f/2.8.  There
are also frame lines for 135mm.

Have fun with the M5.   Let us know how you feel about it in a month.  I'm
guessing you'll love it even more than you do know.  Also let us know about
the separation and what KEH did.  I for one am curious to hear how they deal
with an issue like this.

Jeff M