Subject: [Leica] M5 questions
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Thu May 10 14:13:56 2007

I just picked up an M5 from KEH today, it was listed as BGN, so I was
ready for a rough looking camera.  Actually it is not that bad.  The
shutter speeds are nice and crisp with good detents, the camera had a
few minor dings and one place of chipped vulcanite, enough that on
another brand it'd probably be ex- LOL

Anyway I have one question and a few observations.  First the question,
the rangefinder patch shows minor signs of separation.  How big of an
issue or concern is this?  I know this is fairly common, just wonder how
rapidly this progresses, and how much a repair of something like this is
should it become necessary.

Now to the observations...Why was this camera not well liked?  It is a
fabulous shooter!  It handles great, shutter speeds easily the most
accessible of any M.  It is very quiet.  Viewfinder not only has a
meter, but it also shows shutter speed!  In an M!  How nice!  Personally
I like the way it feels also, not much larger than the M6, and the film
advance has a more crisp feel than my M6ttl, more like my old classic
M6.  Frame lines are grteat, 35, 50, 90 and a spot for the meter area.
How simple, just like my M6 .0.85ttl now that I had some lines removed.

Anyway thanks in advance for the answers to my questions.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from telyt at telus.net (David Young) ([Leica] M5 questions)