Subject: [Leica] OT: Vietnam
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri May 11 18:32:31 2007

Thanks to everyone who had a look at the Vietnam set and felt like sharing a
comment.  I think most folks here had seen them before but I was mainly
responding to Mike's suggestion by posting the link again.  As Hoppy
mentioned, there are a lot of smiling children in the set.  I'm not sure
why, but that just seemed to be the case.  I could speak a bit of Vietnamese
and was usually able to initiate a conversation on the street so that may
have helped.  My time in VN was a reasonably happy one under the
circumstances.  I was stationed near Saigon and had plenty to time to roam
the streets and marketplaces with a camera.  I was assigned to a supply
depot that was rarely under direct attack, and had fairlly comfortable
quarters in a quonset hut that doubled as my dental clinic.  Could have been
a LOT worse.

BTW, since Luis was asking about scans in an unrelated thread, these photos
were also scanned with an Epson 3170 and the Epson software.  Seemed to work
fine for me.  However, after I posted the set I lost all the scans in a HD
failure.  Luckily, I still have the negs!

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE