Subject: [Leica] display print advice for Hoppy please
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed May 23 06:08:26 2007

Folks, I've recently acquired an Epson 3800 printer and am in the process of
obtaining profiles and other wise setting up well for
my preferred workflow. Thus far I've largely printed only to 8 x11ish. First
test prints look just marvelous, just to smaller sizes
at this time.

I've been asked to show some pictures at a local community art show which
this year will have a dedicated section for photographers.
This despite prevailing attitudes amongst the painter folk that showed last
time! One or two big guns attending, however also room
for mere mortals. This is just a social and fund raiser event, commissions
going to good works. At least last year it was well
attended and following requisite wine and cheese, the buyers got fairly
enthusiastic. Given the target folks I'm largely selecting
travel images, landscapes and the like. I might take along a small folio of
more personal choices.

Anyhoo the plan is to produce a dozen or so prints on 13" x19" Crane Museo
Silver Rag and mount them on black foam board to hang. If
I actually manage to sell a print or so, the folks will get an un-mounted
print for framing. This is keeping in mind the very modest
market. All a new experience for me, anyway.

I would appreciate some suggestions on the aesthetics of positioning the
images on the print. I had in mind minimal crops, given the
35mm film originals. I thought maybe a 11" x16" image, giving a decent white
border to highlight the images.

Your advice would be very much welcomed. I'm in a bit of a quandary whether
to aim for a more standard proportion perhaps. The 11x16
looks reasonably balanced to my eye, if I put it on a 13" x19 canvas. I'd
consider this an upper limit regarding enlargement. Good
glass for the 35mm originals of course.

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] display print advice for Hoppy please)