Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Thu May 24 11:44:05 2007

my wife calls me a hopeless pessimist, i say "i was trained
as an engineer"

i don't feel safe about my backups unless i physically
replace my primary physical drive(s) with fresh blank ones
and restore from the backups to create a "clone" of the
original system.  the original disks then become the backup.

needless to say, it's not your daily backup procedure.
it is arduous and disruptive and i've only
done it a few times.  but by making you deal with your backup
immediately, you'll see problems and missing data right away.
furthermore, you will have gone through a "fire drill" and
you will know how to rebuild your system if your boot drives
fail.

i do think you ought to periodically try to restore (if not
to a different disk, to a new area in your directory
structure)

incidentally, i've worked for 3 broker-deals in 15 years,
where there are numerous regulations and internal requirements
for digital document retention.  my experience in requesting
restores from IT is something like a 50% success rate.

a successful backup/restore policy is not trivial.

-rei