Subject: Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Watches - can you provide advice orsites that
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Mon May 28 12:44:24 2007

One must be very careful buying new watches on the internet.  Most
quality manufacturers won't permit their authorized dealers to sell
directly over the net.  As a result the watches sold by online sellers
like world of watches, amazon.com dealers, overstock.com, etc. are gray
market.  This means they were obtained through backdoor deals in
foreign countries from dealers, distributors and who-know-who...
Sometimes the watches are "Frankenwatches", made from different
components or are factory returns.  Some sellers grind off the serial
number so the origin may not be traced.  Usually these gray market
watches carry an "international warranty" which is only honored by the
seller or some other third party.  Some manufactures will not work on
gray market watches.  Ebay is even scarier.  One of the Omega
newsgroups monitors the Omega auctions and finds up to Omegas being
sold are fakes.  I am sure other quality brands have the same issue.
Be careful out there!

Rob McClure